Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Quilting for the First Time

I'd never had much desire to quilt until recently. Most of my exposure has been to traditional quilting, which I admire and appreciate but it just doesn't fit my design aesthetic. Recently though my mind has been changing - modern fabrics in traditional quilts, traditional fabrics in modern quilts, quilting as art and art as quilting - the options are endless.

I am in love with this Color Wheel Quilt from Purl.


And a friend of mine just introduced me to this wonderful quilt from Tweedle Dee Designs on her Cut to Pieces blog:



There is even a very beautiful story behind this quilt - despair and hope and ultimately God's blessing and provision, which Angela was kind enough to share with us all. I have had visions of a few wall hangings for Lil Hoot's room and for play but nothing so beautiful as this quilt! Talk about inspiration!

So, at the urging of my online group of Ravelry Moms, I joined their Quilting Bee and took the plunge into the world of quilting. September is our first month and after catching the excitement from the other Moms, I did my first square this weekend. Here's my part of the quilt:


It's part of the Star Quilt-Along Week found on Crazy Mom Quilts. If you haven't stopped by her blog, I encourage you to do so. There is some awesome information for quilters on her site, but she is also more than just quilts and has a whole list of awesome tutorials.

So here I am, joining the world of quilters in a very cautious fashion, thankful for all the wonderful bloggers out there who make learning quilting more accessible than ever before!

And now, I'm off to work on a super-fun project that I will hopefully unviel soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love your star block! Those are some of my favorite fabrics! I'm using her layout for a quilt of my own but letting my bee members make whatever star they want.


    I'm so glad that you were inspired by my little quilt. I enjoyed making it and then letting it go to its new owner! So many have been touched by it that I know it was meant to be shared.

    ReplyDelete