Friday, June 4, 2010

Mama Hoot's Car Kit Bag

After reading the Mommy Milestone blog over at Forever and After, I decided to share with you all what I dub my "car kit bag". Months ago we were out and about as a family and decided to go ahead and have a nice sit-down dinner out at the Cheesecake Factory. I bought something next door at Whole Foods for Lil Hoot to eat and we sat down for dinner. Then we realized - we didn't have a bib or a spoon or any number of other things that would come in handy. I had diapers, wipes, toys and blankets but that was about it. I was in the habit then of packing a bag each time we headed out and only packing what I thought we would need. So we came home and made a list of Things to Keep in the Car. I also made a bag with lots and lots of pockets to keep it all straight.

Mama Hoot's Car Kit
  • diapers, wipes & rash cream
  • change of clothes
  • a towel/burp cloth, spoons, baby food, bib
  • toys and books
  • changing pad & blanket
  • sippy cup
  • teething tablets
  • small pouch of toiletries
  • a zip lock bag or two (small & large)
  • first aid kit
Depending on the season I may also throw in:
  • Hats & mittens
  • Extra blankets
  • Shoes/Booties
  • Jacket or sweater
This list is certainly not all inclusive. Do you already have a car kit bag? What do you keep in yours?

I keep all of this neatly tucked away in my Car Kit Bag which stays on the floor in front of Lil Hoot's car seat. Then when we need to leave, I grab my normal-size purse and head out the door. Sometimes I need to grab a few extra things but then I just drop them into a side pouch on the big bag and we're still ready to go. Saves me time and effort while also making sure we have what we need!


5 comments:

  1. Hi New Caps member, I love this idea of the car kit!

    Nice to meet you I am Joyce

    I make knitted baby items...

    Sweetybird09.etsy.com come take a look!
    Sweetybird09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd like to add that i adore the fabric you chose for the outside of your bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well why didn't I think of that? lol I never even considered leaving a bag in the car all packed and ready to go. That would making leaving the house a cinch!
    Thanks for stopping by my Blog Frog Community the other day. I'd love for you to come over and visit me at my blog when you get a chance. Hope to see you soon. Have a great day.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies!

    @QGG - The fabric was leftover from the shade I did for Lil Hoot's room. It was begging for a use!

    @Kristi - I'm there with you at your blog. I'll double check that I'm a follower. Some days are just too hectic for comments but I'm getting better. :-D

    ReplyDelete