Thursday, August 11, 2011

Camera Messenger Bag

Camera Messenger Bag

Messenger-style Camera Bag

This bag was made for our photographer.  She requested messenger style with a few pockets.  I measured her camera and accessories then got to work sketching it out.  I can't remember how many times I re-worked those measurements!  I reviewed every tutorial I could find for building a camera bag and camera bag insert.  There was one thing I disliked about most of them - the 'padding' was simply a double layer of batting, at best.  And I'm sorry, but a camera that costs a few thousand dollars needs more protection!

So I set to work with 1" foam instead.  It was certainly not the easiest thing to do - all the seam allowances were more challenging, getting the foam to stay in place, lining up the pockets, etc.  In the end I tried everything to get the foam to stop shifting and I hope it worked.  I glued the edges to add some stability and did quite a bit of hand sewing to tack everything in its place.

It seemed like such a simple idea - take one of my regular bag designs and add foam.  Ha!  I don't think there will be a next time around for this bag.  

1 comment:

  1. Well that is a beautiful bag and I am sure the foam will be great for protection.

    ReplyDelete