About a year ago I cast on the Robin Hood Jacket from Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tots. I knit this pattern a few years ago for a friend's new baby and really enjoyed it. I always knew I wanted one for Lil' Hoot but thought I'd make it in a larger toddler size so (hopefully) she can wear it longer.
What I didn't like about the pattern is that all the pieces are knit separately and then seamed together. I thought I'd just go ahead and knit the fronts along with the back and leave arm holes when I got to that point. Good idea, in theory. It turns out I didn't leave a big enough space for the arm holes, so when I realized I couldn't fix it, I did what every frustrated knitter does...I shoved it in the closet for awhile until finally ripping it all out to start over. By that time it was well into fall and there was no way I was going to get it finished.
So this Spring when the first trimester exhaustion peaked and all I could do at night was sit and watch tv, I cast on for a new RHJ in a much larger size. I decided, in my tired state, I should follow the pattern to the letter. It worked out much better...except...despite being on gauge and knitting a larger size, the sleeves seem to be a bit tight, somewhat remarkable considering my skinny child. Blocking works wonders though and her sweater is all set for fall...almost...
As you can see, it still needs buttons. It's not for lack of trying though, I just haven't found the right buttons yet. I hereby publicly declare to find them, buy them and get them sewn on before fall (if it ever comes).