Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Robin Hood Jacket

While on our mini-vacation to visit friends and family in Iowa I made sure we stopped at my favorite local yarn shop (LYS), Crazy Girl Yarn Shop in Coralville, IA. I am late to start Lil Hoot's fall/spring sweater so I wanted to take advantage of our drive time to start knitting. A couple years back I knitted the Robin Hood Jacket (from Adorable Knits for Tots by Zoe Mellor) for a friend's baby and knew that I wanted that sweater for my own kiddo, so that's what I'm working on now.

I chose Cascade Superwash 220 rather than the cotton yarn I used previously. I wanted something with more structure to it, the cotton knit up quite limp, but I still wanted it to be washable and, of course, soft. After wearing a sweater of my own knit from the Superwash, I decided it was the right yarn for this project. So far, I'm really digging the color and the yarn. Based on my last knit of this sweater as well as some swatching, I found that I had to go way down on the needle size or I end up with a rather large sweater. I also chose not to knit each piece separately, and I'm contemplating knitting the sleeves in the round too. There was just way too much seaming in the original pattern.

I'm about 2/3 of the way done...or so I choose to believe.
Don't look too closely or you will notice some mistakes within the cables. When last I knit this pattern I kept meticulous notes...not this time. For one thing, it's impossible to keep a paper and pencil at the ready for marking without Lil Hoot stealing it. For another, it's impossible to just keep the pattern out without her stealing it. So I memorized the pattern as best I could and just took off knitting. It felt good to click the needles again, there's something so soothing for me in the repetition of the stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment