Sunday, October 2, 2016

Project 333 - the After

Last week I cleaned out my closet and took inventory. And I mean massive purge not just, "Oh I haven't worn this in a while." I followed the blog post "How to Finally Clean Out Your Closet for Good" as part of #project333. She really talks about the emotions of the project, and I was surprised to find that I felt nervous about it. Most of these clothes I have had for a long time. It wasn't because I *love* them but because I felt that I needed them. Or I might need them. And at one time, I did need them. But I committed myself to this project and laid it all out...literally...
THE BEFORE
Over 200 items collected over the course of 20 years. It's hard to believe that's even possible given that I barely go shopping. How did I get so much "stuff"?! Here's what I noticed, maybe you can relate. There were really four distinct "wardrobes" in my closet.
  1. Business Professional - What I wore when I worked in a law firm
  2. Mommy Wear - What I wore while pregnant and nursing (and beyond even though I shouldn't have)
  3. Business Casual - What I wore when I was teaching professionally
  4. Free/Clearance Items - What I wore when I was sick of Mommy Wear but too cheap to buy new clothes
Also, a random smattering of stuff I bought and really liked wearing but it probably wore out a decade ago. And about two dozen items purchased recently that I really like and kept. Seriously, that's about 24 out of 200+ items. Not good odds.

 THE AFTER
After 2 Rounds of "Clean Out" and one "Bonus Round" to create a Fall/Winter Capsule Wardrobe and a Spring/Summer Wardrobe, I had 120+ items to donate/swap, 45 items in the capsule wardrobes, and 71 items total in my closet.


BEFORE
AFTER
Total Items: 218
Total Items: 71
Less than 1% purchased in the last two years.
27 fall/winter items
Most of the items were 7+ years old.
18 spring/summer items
22 tank tops, 20 t-shirts
Extras – 16 specialty items
23 dresses
120+ items for donation/clothing swap
30+ items that need replacement due to wear
~30 items to alter or repurpose
16 pairs of shoes
10 pairs of shoes

I felt so good to let go of all the reasons I kept these items and focus on the present. However, at this point I really do not have enough items left to make a complete capsule wardrobe. Most of my "staple items" for Spring/Summer were either ill-fitting or worn out. And this is Texas, I still need a Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe for another month (and on occasion the whole year). The Fall/Winter Capsule Wardrobe, is nearly complete though since I actually did a good job shopping for it last year. (Thanks to my husband actually who told me to skip the sales racks and just buy what I needed.)

In the end this is my working list. Public note to self - you must replace these items. They're horrible, look at the reasons why again.

Clothing Replacement List
  • Winter coat (21 years old and looks like a Pizza Hut delivery jacket)
  • Capri pants (Holes, paint, ill-fitting hand-me-downs)
  • Black belt (It broke and you never replaced it)
  • White camisole (It hasn't really been white for a long while)
  • Sports bras - 3 (They were pre-baby and your chest is not)
  • Pencil skirt (Darts should not bubble up.)
  • Exercise pants - 3 (Lost their elasticity and they should ALL have pockets)
  • Summer skirt (Cheap stretch cotton pills horribly)
  • Sun dress - 2 (No stretch recovery, gaping arm holes, too long)
  • Robe (Bleach stained and ill-fitting)
  • Black fitted pants (Fit issues, all of them: too long, too short, low cut, stretch poly, short crotch)
  • Black cardigan (Pilling)
  • White cardigan (Is that so polyester it's shiny?!)
  • Keen everyday shoes (Holes)
  • Tennis shoes (Lack of tread)
  • Casual dress shoes (Blisters)
  • Tank tops - 3 (Arm holes too big, bleach stains, maternity does not fit you)
  • Casual lightweight pants - 3 (Holes, bleach stains, maternity does not fit you)

1 comment:

  1. It's really difficult to get rid of clothes and shoes that still fit. My closet is somewhat like the before picture of yours. I think I also need to clean up.

    ReplyDelete