Friday, September 23, 2011

Lil Hoot's New Room - The Quilt

Remember back a year and a half ago when I started painting Lil' Hoot's new room? No? Really? Well, about a year after I finished painting the room she finally moved in. I got a bright idea that I should make the quilt for her bed. Yep, my first whole quilt and I decided to make it a twin-size quilt. (Seriously, what was I thinking?!) I took months trying to decide on a fabric and really have my friends to thank for picking Central Park by Kate Spain. I fell in love with the fabric and then found that certain blues matched perfectly with the walls - yeah!

2011-09-01_08-22-28_386

Of course, I couldn't find a pattern that I liked so I complicated things even further by designing my own. I was inspired by this quilt back that I found on Flickr. I ordered a layer cake and got started. It was a simple top to piece together, but don't look too close. I'm not a perfectionist. :-)
Quilt Top under construction

Quilt Top pieced 1

2011-08-21_12-08-21_570
I did my best to quilt it by stitch-in-ditch but without a walking foot it was a challenge, so don't look too close there either.

2011-08-21_12-09-01_845

I pieced the back with some of the squares from my May Moms quilt bee. (Thanks ladies!)

2011-09-01_08-23-06_790
I also added a little dedication for my girl. I hope the quilt becomes an heirloom for her.

Her whole room was then built around this fabric and this quilt. I used the same fabric for dressing the window. And I'm slowly but surely working on pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment